Thursday, April 5, 2012

Walking in Happiness

I have been smiling in my sleep. I feel a deep seated happiness that I have not felt before...at least not in this lifetime. It is an awakening....unfinished business has presented itself to me, and I am remembering things that were buried deep within myself. It is beautiful and full of love and many, many smiles. I can't say that I even begin to understand it, but one thing I have learned over the years is that I don't have to understand everything that I experience and feel. I can just go with it and see what happens in the name of adventure, education, fun and love.

When I was a teenager, I was in my very first band, one called, "Persephone's Liberation." Persephone was the daughter of the Zeuss and Demeter, Queen of the Underworld. Homer describes Demeter as the, "... formidable, venerable majestic queen of the shades, who carries into effect the curses of men upon the souls of the dead." Persephone as a vegetation goddess (Kore) and her mother were the central figures of the Eleusinian mysteries that predated the Olympian pantheon, and promised to the initiated a more enjoyable prospect after death. The mystic Persephone is further said to have become by Zeus the mother of Dionysus, Iacchus, or Zagreus. The origins of her cult are uncertain, but it was based on very old agrarian cults of agricultural communities.

Persephone was commonly worshiped along with Demeter, and with the same mysteries. To her alone were dedicated the mysteries celebrated at Athens in the month of Anthesterion. In Classical Greek art, Persephone is invariably portrayed robed; often carrying a sheaf of grain. She may appear as a mystical divinity with a scepter and a little box, but she was mostly represented in the act of being carried off by Hades. Her symbolic meaning of the power that shoots forth and withdraws into the earth. Her common name as a vegetation goddess is Kore and in Arcadia she was worshipped under the title Despoina "the mistress", a very old chthonic divinity. Plutarch identifies her with spring and Cicero calls her the seed of the fruits of the fields. In the Eleusinian mysteries her return is the symbol of immortality and hence she was frequently represented on sarcophagi.

I named the first band I was in after Persephone because I have always closely identified with this mythological character. These days, I am beginning to understand this close affinity better than ever before. More on that later. It is a beautiful day and I need to go outside and enjoy it before I get back to work here.

No comments: